USS Haleakala (AE-25) was a Nitro-class ammunition ship of the United States Navy in service from 1959 to 1993.
The USS Haleakala (AE-25) was launched on 17 February 1959 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation in Baltimore, Maryland and was sponsored by Mrs. Maurice E. Curts, wife of Vice Admiral Maurice Curts. Haleakala was commissioned 3 November 1959, with Captain Miles P. Refo, III in command.
After shakedown out of Guantanamo Bay Haleakala transited the Panama Canal and visited Chile and Costa Rica before arriving at San Francisco, 17 March 1960. The fifth of a new class of ammunition ships designed from the hull up for carrying and transferring at sea the latest in munitions and guided missiles, Haleakala spent the first part of April with Vega (AF-59) conducting replenishment exercises to test new equipment.
Class and type: Nitro-class ammunition ship
Displacement: 8,300 tons
Length: 512 ft (156 m)
Beam: 72 ft (22 m)
Draft: 29 ft (8.8 m)
Speed: 20 knots
Armament: 4 x 3″ guns